CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Brussels

Who knew Belgium was famous for somany tasty goodies, most available from street vendors. Highlights from the Gastronomical Tour of Bruxelle:



Pomme Frites - Belgian Fries (definitely not French Fries) are served with every type of mayonnaise possibly conceived! Seen here with original mayo and served in the traditional cone. 


Waffles! (promise there is one under all the cream) We don't get even Eggo waffles in Switzerland/Italy, so this is a treat. They are what I'm used to as traditional Belgian waffles, but sweeter and served with as many different toppings as the fries (cream, chocolate, strawberries, etc.) Oh-so-good late at night after the beer (see below); its the Beglian version of Krispy Kreme!




Yum, made with white wine, shallots, parsley and butter and served in this pot that comes with a lid used for the shells. You are supposed to use an empty shell as a rudimentary cocktail fork...I wasn't so good at that. But I did find a pearl! 








Ridiculously expensive ($20 for 16 pieces - small box available), 
but ridiculously good and totally worth it. 
I could only eat 3 pieces in 2 days it is so rich.







Beer, it's what for dinner! It is everywhere and completely 
different than America beer and tastes different than even Belgian beers in the States (the Leffe has 9% alcohol content). I did the sampler platter: Hoegaarden, Leffe/Bruin, Leffe/Blonde, Junipler and Stella Artois. 




I was asked to join a table of British lawyers and was told to try the Bellevue - a raspberry beer. So good! Like a dessert wine. You can't really tell from the picture, but the beer is raspberry pink!












Escargot is available from lots of street vendors in almost every plaza. I'd never tried them before, but turns out I love them! 
Even if the big one kinda freaked me out how it stayed in its "shell shape" perfectly...ew. 

1 comments:

Courtney said...

OMG!!! I AM DROOLING!