CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Wine, Polenta, "Meat on a Stick", Chestnuts & More Wine

Fall has kept us busy with wine festivals & autumn festivals (which is just a fancy wine festival). I've had so much local wine I can't think about Merlot for a long, long time. The Mendrisio wine festival was in the center where cars are not allowed to drive on the narrow streets. It is such a local "industrial" town and has this beautiful city center. I never would have imagined.



In the center are small courtyards or "curt" in the local dialect that are covered, but still outside - kinda like a beer garden? My favorite was the Curt di Poo. Poo is also dialect for something, but I'm never going to remember, but Poo is just too funny. The restaurant is named Poo! Hee!








In Lugano there is a much different atmosphere, more tweed jackets, tweed fedoras and quilted vests. The great things was Lugano's "autumn festival" had more arts & crafts. The first booth we stopped at the man & wife made baskets. It remided me so much of Charleston I had to stop. He makes them all by hand (mine took 20 hours!), and they are made from Nociolo (nut) trees. The branches must be cut at the luna scuro (new moon) and cannot have any birds nearby (not sure why?). Turns out I bought a mushroom basket which unfortunately will never be used for its intended purpose - I'm allergic to mushrooms & I have no idea which ones are poisonous.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

I want to be eating these yummy things with you..I saw you on Michael's facebook. You are right-I need to get an account! But I am afraid I would stalk people all day. I miss you terribly.
Lizzie is going to be a lobster for Halloween. You will get a picture in your much overdue thank you note! How rude am I? It is just so hard to right these damn things when I work all day..be a momma...etc. Excuses I know.
Ok, to post pics side by side..you need to choose the small size when you upload and then when you format your first picture, take your cursor and make a space with the space bar and then move the second picture next to it. I usually upload several pictures at once-it is much easier.
LOVE you!!!

Anonymous said...

I want to go to a restaurant named Poo! I second your "hee." Sounds like a wonderful time.

We are back from the beach -- I'll call you this week, sweetie.

Love you,
Ray